Monday, December 8, 2008

Jodi Foster - "I’m an atheist"




Are you religious?

No, I’m an atheist. But I absolutely love religions and the rituals. Even though I don’t believe in God. We celebrate pretty much every religion in our family with the kids. They love it, and when they say, ”Are we Jewish?” or ”Are we Catholic?” I say, ”Well, I’m not, but you can choose when you’re 18. But isn’t this fun that we do seders and the Advent calendar?”


The Friendly Atheist blog posted this quote and image back in 2007 but I just discovered it! :) Although, I don't love religion as Jodi does, it is nice to see someone with such a popular profile to come out and say "I'm an atheist." I essentially mimiced The Friendly Atheist's views on this but hey, great minds think alike. BTW, Jodi was AWESOME in "Contact." So if you haven't seen it, GO AND SEE IT!!!

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Finally, something on you blog that doesn't upset me :)
I admire women that admit they are atheist. It takes a lot of courage to announce this in a culture that advocates religion and opposes anything that is not religious. To me, it is more impactful for a woman to state she’s and atheist than a male. As a female she is not only critical of the religion/entity(s) but she is also denouncing the sexist stance of such religions (among other dishonorable things). Free as an intellectual person, free as an able woman, and free as a living being capable of dreaming, learning, discovering new science without boundaries of religious oppression. I loved the message of the movie.

Christina SL said...

I don't get it. Why do religious rituals while consciously acknowledging that they are meaningless? Those poor kids are already confused.